Monday, March 24, 2014

Breakfast Pie

I am terrible about eating breakfast during the week, seriously terrible. I know it’s the most important meal of the day but this girl loves her sleep, especially in the mornings. I’m not particularly hungry either so I usually just skip it. I know. I’m very bad.
Let’s back this story up to Friday, March 14th, or Pi Day.  I work with a bunch of engineers and apparently this day of the year means more to them than the other 364 days.  My high school chemistry teacher, Mr. Pettyjohn, would be proud that I actually knew what they were talking about.  Since my office is a pretty fun work environment, we decided we would all make some kind of pie to contribute to Pi-Palooza.  There was every kind of pie on the sign up list, chocolate, fruit & berry, pumpkin, pecan, strawberry, etc.  These all sounded delectable and scrumptious but I thought we needed a little savory option.  I elected to make breakfast pies… this breakfast pie.


The pies were devoured in less than 15 minutes so I knew I was on to something.  I only made 12 for the office and I felt bad that the slow-pokes didn’t get any but, snooze ya lose.

These are easy to make. They are a smidge time consuming but definitely worth it.

First things first, you’ll need to have these ingredients:
  • 10- 12 eggs
  • 1lb breakfast sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
  • ½ sweet onion
  • ½ scallion
  • 1 whole red pepper
  • 3 green onions
  • Dash of salt & ground pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (I always forget to do this first!).

Start the breakfast sausage in a fry pan.  Break up the large pieces as you would cook ground beef. 

Chop one half sweet onion.

Add in chopped onion to cooking sausage. 

Continue cooking until fully cooked, all sausage should be crumbly and browned. Set aside.
Beat eggs together in bowl. 

Chop up red pepper, ½ scallion, and green peppers. Add to beaten eggs.
Not pictured: red pepper. It wasn't feeling camera ready.

[side note: scallions made my eyes burn/water way worse than any other onions, ever. I usually wear contacts but I was wearing glasses and it felt like some pissed gasoline straight into my eyeballs. After I switched to my pampered chef chopper, the scallions were much less painful to deal with.]
 

Add in salt and pepper

Grease muffin tin.  You may use cooking spray or butter.  I used cooking spray because I had some and it usually gets the best coverage.

Add in about ¼ of a cup of sausage to each muffin cup.

[Notice token egg cup that got ahead of the photographer and decided to fill up on eggs and peppers, what a jerk.]

Then add in about a ¼ of a cup of the egg mixture.  I topped each cup with a smidge of sausage because a little bit more sausage is delicious and necessary.


Throw your muffin pan of eggy-goodness into the oven for 20 minutes until eggs are cooked all the way through. Don’t worry if the eggs climb out a little bit, that’s typical albeit a little ugly, they still taste good. 

And here’s the final product pie. 


[Feel free to go crazy with the Sriracha. I did.]


I have since decided to make these on the reg to freeze for eating throughout the week in order to help with my breakfast aversion. 


Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious Kate. I vote you make these for us next time we're together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! And now I'm afraid to cut scallions....great ;)

    ReplyDelete